I went to the gun show at the richmond raceway today. It was very nice. They expanded it to occupy the area previously used by the quilting show. There was some ammo available but not much. I don’t think it will still be there tomorrow. The .308 battle packs I sold several months ago were taunting me with their higher prices. But guns were cheaper.
The stg-44 repro in 22lr was going for $550 down from $700 the last time I saw it.
Something new: a new sig micro pistol. The same size as last months .380, but in 9mm. About $650. Nice pocket gun.
A little bit of 22LR. Priced at $80-125 a brick.
Primers were short too. $60 a k, when you could find them.
I found plenty of 62 gr 5.56 green tip in ammo cans, which I couldn’t afford. But I did find some at .75 each so I picked up a hundred. Enough for periodic zero confirmation and a few mags of “ready to go” ammo for the carbine.
Also picked up some pepper spray. Daughter isn’t allowed to defend herself with a gun yet. So at least she has something.
National Police Week is ending here in the Nation’s capital. Around 20,000 police officers from around the country will now be returning to the communities from whence they arrived.
1. I think it is a nice thing that people in a similar line of work occasionally get together to memorialize fallen comrades, share their professional tips and tricks, and increase the trade of local businesses like prostitution.
2. But police are different. In every case, police are paid for by taxes, taken by force from taxpayers who earned it. And the police themselves are the ones holding the guns to extract those taxes.
3. Thus, they should be held to a higher standard of accountability on how they spend those tax dollars that are allocated to them. Tourism trips to DC should NOT make the list of things that will be approved.
4. I don’t know how each of the thousands of police jurisdictions pay for this trip. There might be some private money involved, which I am OK with. But every police cruiser I see from Idaho, or North Carolina, was paid for with tax dollars, as was the fuel expense to bring it here, as was the indemnity of the police department for any accidents it is in while on this trip.
5. Thus, any police department that can send a car or motorcycle to this event, has one too many cars or motorcycles on its list of equipment. Any police department that can send a uniformed officer to this even, has one too many officers on its payroll.
6. No one else may have noticed this, but for some reason, the additional of 20,000 extra police on the streets of DC and Northern Virginia for a week does nothing to the crime statistics for that week. Nor do the crime stats along the highways decline in between DC and their home jurisdictions. It causes me to wonder what the value of all those extra police really are and if perhaps every community has too many of them.
7. I am very much against any single group of Americans getting separate treatment under the law. Police as a group flout the laws every chance they get and mostly that flouting is institutionalized in the law itself. I could give you many examples, but Police week is one obvious one. police motorcades are driving everywhere, mostly to Denny’s and Applebies, tying up traffic. They do not obey the traffic laws, but use their police enforcement authoritah to make traffic move aside. Thus they establish and reinforce the idea that they are not of the people, but a separate class unto themselves. Even referring to the people as “civilians”, as if they themselves are not also civilians. Then there are the laws that permit them to carry their guns in D.C., a practice that is forbidden to all the other “civilian” citizens from their states.
8. Drum and pipe demonstrations and Honor Guard competitions? If your local police department is big enough to have such people on its payroll, it is too big. Even if they practice on their own time and buy all their own stuff, demonstrations like this are certainly supported by tax dollars from somewhere. Tax dollars that were extorted from local citizens under the threat of releasing violent criminals from jails because we don’t have enough money to keep them.
Congress is working now to help states screw up the internet. No one is proposing anything good or useful. The problem is that internet companies have an unfair advantage over brick and mortar stores because they are not charging sales taxes.
This is not quite true. The truth is that they are not COLLECTING sales taxes on behalf of the 9000 taxing jurisdictions in the USA. The residents of those places are still responsible for paying those taxes. Problem is, NONE of them are. So, without the business acting as a collection agent, the taxes don’t get collected.
This “hurts” tax hell states like California the worst. But there is a sensible solution.
1. Get all the states to agree to stop taxing people and start taxing transactions. The transaction get taxed where it takes place, just like if an out of state traveler stopped at a 7-11 for a pack of cigarettes. Each business then charges taxes based on where it has a business license and a physical location. One place. So, SEARS will pay sales taxes collected on transactions in each state where they have a store and Amazon will collect taxes on all their customers based on their one official business location.
2. The advantage of this is that businesses will be free to locate in tax haven locations and flee tax-hell locations without the fear that tax collectors will travel a thousand miles to find them. Each business will have to collect and file taxes for ONE jurisdiction each, not for every jurisdiction. They will be subject one set of auditors and collection rules not agents of 9000 places seeking the deepest pockets they can find. And it will put all retail business on an equal footing regardless of their status of doing on-line sales or walk-in sales.
But that isn’t even on the menu. It would require all the states and jurisdictions to change their collection laws and they aren’t going to do that. They want to keep taxing their own citizens no matter how far the citizen goes to make a purchase. And now they want to send collection agents all over the country to check on the collections, forms, permits, and fees are all paid. Essentially, every state will now be entitled to require business to get a business permit in every jurisdiction (all 9000) in order to sell to residents of those places and collect those taxes.
Once that happens for the internet, get ready to see it at the local stores too. After all, then the local stores will have the competitive advantage that needs to be corrected. So no one will be able to buy or sell anything without showing Picture ID so the clerk will know which tax rates to apply. That language sounds familiar, but I can’t place it right now.
So let’s just keep doing the wrong things.
1. Prince Harry visits the Storm ravaged Jersey Shore. Why? Of all those nations of the world that have some connection to the British crown, New Jersey isn’t one. We have been an independent nation for over 200 years. We fought a war over it to make it stick. I hate disaster tourists. Bunch of self-aggrandizing, self-promoting do-gooder fakers. If you want to help, stay home and send money. Lots of money. Even the cost of your own first class air fare will help a little. Your shiny face helps nothing and no one.
2. Angelina Jolie cut her bewbs off. WHY? I understand that she has high risk factors for developing cancer in the future. THE FUTURE. Why do what is essentially elective surgery to maim yourself before it is medically needed? I have a small chance of being hit by a bus tonight on my way home. But I am not going to stop at a bar first and get wasted so it won’t hurt as much. (FTR, I have always thought she was pretty over-rated anyway).
The “black-market Disney guides” run $130 an hour, or $1,040 for an eight-hour day
Have you priced Disney lately? That isn’t just the 1% hated evil rich people. a thousand bucks to essentially quadruple your Disney experience is a bargain and within reach of most tourists who will spend several times that much on a typical Disney vacation. This article is dripping with venom for the moms who use this service, but says NOTHING about the handicapped people who are working as “guides”. If it is evil for the buyer, then why not for the seller? And why isn’t it equally evil for all the people who are handicapped? Disney put those lines there for that purpose. Then they expect no one to use them? I am guessing that park customer discovered that dodge the first day. Even Southpark already parodied the practice and noted that there are now so many “handicapped” people that the special lines are almost as long as the regular ones. It should also be noted that 12% of the licensed drivers in DC have handicapped plates for their cars. I very seldom ever see a really mobility impaired person getting out of a vehicle in a handicapped parking place. EVER. Handicapped parking and special treatment is a minor convenience for a tiny fraction of people and a huge cost burden for everyone else AND a huge scam for a lot of people. At some point I will be thinking about getting one for myself since the difference at the Pentagon parking is about a mile closer.
4. The State prosecutors in the Zimmerman trial are pushing to exclude evidence about Trayvon’s violent and thug-life past. WHY? Tray-tray is dead. There is nothing to be gained by preserving his legacy. It is Zimmerman who is entitled by law to a fair trial. The dead guy doesn’t have any rights. The only reason to limit evidence from the trial is to commit state-sponsored perversion of justice.
Sandy Hook Elementary school will be torn down and a new school will be built on that site. The memories of children being murdered are too painful for that community to endure. So they are going to do something pointless, stupid and symbolic.
The children who will attend the new school will be too young to have any memories of the crimes at the old school. Their parents will remember it, but send their little kids off to an unguarded government school anyway. Not able to connect the dots on that one. Must be all that government schooling they got.
The taxpayers will foot the bill. Evidently, that city/county/state is one of the few in the country that have so much extra cash that they can afford to tear down a perfectly fine school to build a new one just like it. Simply changing the name on the old school would have been a lot cheaper and accomplished the same result: pointless symbolism. Heck, they could have named the school, Barack Hussein Obama Elementary, in honor of the President who saves all the little children from premature death. And they can start each day with their devotional prayers to him.
Just another black guy, killing other black people, for reasons that aren’t immediately clear but have nothing to do with advancing the agenda of a terrorist organisation.
“What frustrates all of us is that the great culture of our city sometimes stumbles a bit because of the selfish behavior of some people. So we can tell you without doubt that this police department will find these guys,” said New Orleans Police Chief Ronal Serpas
Riiiight. Just like all those other unsolved shootings in your city.
“We can tell you without doubt that this police department will find these guys. We will find them, and we will bring them to custody and will make them pay for the crime they committed today.”
Blowhard. Typical police chief PR BS. Hundreds of murders in NOLA last year. And all the other times there were promises of “doing something”.