I finally got to the range with the new precision rifle configuration with the new stock. It did pretty well.
I started off with some 55gr PMC store bought ammo that I had to use up. All of these shots are from benchrest, 100 meters. The lowest round in this group is actually one of the 80 grain rounds that is a bit off the reservation.
Then the new 80 grain Amax I made myself and that I blogged about here. They were terrible. I account that about a third of the rounds struck at least 5 inches from point of aim in random directions. My best guess is that the round sits so far back in the neck of the case that it is not setting concentric to the barrel. A second hypothesis is that the 1:7 twist of the barrel is not enough to stabilize the heavier bullets. In any case, I think that reloading anything above 75 gr is a waste of time for this rifle. Maybe for some future rifle with a longer barrel or a bolt action rifle that would permit the bullet to seat higher in the cartridge.
The 75 grain Amax home made bullets did much better.
And even the 68 grain HPBT home made bullets were consistent.
Then I took the FAL out of the safe just to make some noise. I used up some .308 silver bear ammo and some mil surplus of dubious origin. The silver bear did better than the milsurp. And was consistently more accurate (about 6 MOA). On that rifle I use a simple red dot reticle with no magnification. I had several missfeeds and tracked them all back to the brass catcher. Without that, the rifle functioned just fine.