There has been a lot of confusion about this and even some reasonable and thoughtful people have gotten a little carried away and need to be gently reminded. I have also have erred in my thought until I heard this on the radio this morning courtesy of the Mike Church show.
1. Your inalienable God-Given right is to self-preservation.
2. Your access to guns enables your ability to defend yourself from wild animals, people who are bigger and stronger than you, people with martial arts training, and even groups of other armed men, even if they wear matching shirts with big white lettering on them. Thus, your government, if it recognizes your god given right to self defense should support that right with a right to access to guns. Guns of all shapes and sizes and as much ammo as you want.
2. The US Constitution limits the powers of the Federal government and describes its boundaries. Thus, the Second Amendment DOES NOT grant to every American the inalienable right to keep and bear arms. It only grants that the Federal government shall not restrict that right. The States are free, constitutionally to do so if they wish.
3. The Virginia Constitution grants to Virginia citizens (residents) the right to keep and bear arms. Sucks to be you if you live in a state that doesn’t.
5. Thus. All good Constitutional purists should be making every effort to devolve the power to regulate firearms back to the States and out of federal hand. Even if those states are NY, California, and Illinois.
6. Further, all good Constitutional purists should NEVER appeal to the 2nd amendment to complain about their state and local anti-gun laws and ordinances. Those laws are your own fault, Mr and Ms local voter. if you want them overturned, do so. If it is that important to you, move*. If it isn’t, then STFU.
7. Complaining about any attempt at the federal level to restrict firearms ownership is perfectly legitimate on 2nd Amendment basis because the 2nd amendment specifically prohibits the Congress from making such laws. Thus, the NRA should be leading a charge to repeal all previous gun control acts and make all manner of NFA devices cheap and legal and unregulated again so that they general public can once again enjoy all their shooty goodness.
* But don’t move to Virginia. We have enough liberal trash here from other states turning us Blue. Try Tennessee. They have nice health care and bike paths.