What America wants: Congress to pass a budget that won’t bankrupt America.
What Congress has been working on instead: Comprehensive immigration reform.
Last I checked American citizens (the only people who count in this discussion) have some pretty simple expectations of the immigration system:
1. A wall/fence along our Southern border to keep out the bad people. ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE SOUTH OF THE BORDER ARE THE BAD PEOPLE.
2. No need for a border, let alone a border fence, in the North since Canada is pretty much just like us.
3. Deport all the illegal aliens that are here now. All of them. Even the Children
Then if you want to get fancy, here are a couple of other things you could do:
4. Restrict immigration from third world countries. We have enough. Really. There is no humanitarian argument you could make that would change my mind on this. There are 189 other countries they can go to.
5. Eliminate Asylum rules. The only people we should make exceptions for are people who have more than $1,000,000 (in 1970 dollars) in personal assets. Everyone else can just stay where they are or go somewhere else. The cold war is over. We no longer need to accept former communists here.
6. Eliminate birth right citizenship. The children of citizens of other countries should not become US citizens just because mommy was visiting here when she popped. We need a constitutional amendment for this just to make sure it sticks.
7. All you have to do is make America inhospitable to foreigners and they will leave of their own accord (or leave in an Accord they stole).
8. Place a tattoo on the forehead of every person who is caught illegally in this country unless that person is caught while trying to make it right by leaving. It doesn’t matter what it is, just something really big and visible. That will make it easy for law enforcement to collect them up a second time and give them instant probable cause to deport them again. Death penalty for a third offense.