I don’t care.
Vox is pointing out that large sections of sky seem to be on the ground without making any assumptions as to how they got there.
Here are my thoughts:
1. It does not matter.
2. “Gold is moving out of Britain and into Switzerland”, followed by wild speculation as to why, “so it can be melted down and sold to Asians. Implied, “Asians are smart when it comes to buying gold”.
3. I hear the same thing on the AM radio commercials demanding that I buy gold right away because the Chinese are and we don’t want them to “win” the gold buying contest.
4. The movement of gold into Switzerland is not important because it does not say who owns the gold. It does belong to someone. That someone has the right to do with it as they see fit. the story linked to only says that it is being moved, not that it is being sold. The only thing we can tell from this is that someone thinks they can make money or save money by having their own gold in one country instead of another. Maybe they just finished building their new Scrooge McDuck gold swimming vault in Switzerland and are filling it up.
5. For every person who thinks that buying an ounce of gold is a great investment, there is someone else who is equally convinced that selling that same ounce of gold is a great investment. Every time. It is a one for one exchange that is unarguable. So there is nothing you can say about the trade in gold other than that the people who have it were convinced to sell it because the price was right and the people who wanted it were willing to pay that price. Those same people are just as likely to be dumping it on the market next year because they need the money to buy assault rifles and ammo.
6. I don’t care if it is “real” money or Fiat. Right now, everyone I know uses the electronic transfer of ones and zeros on their smart phones and plastic cards with magnetic stripes to buy goods and services. This seems to be working fine. No sign of it stopping any time soon. When it does stop working, it will be fixed and very quickly put back like it was. This is a trend that is not going away. Governments and banks understand that the only way to really control money and the black markets that need it is to take it out of circulation completely. Eventually, this is going to happen. As an aside, I think that the criminal element will adjust to it easily and find ways to profit from that too.
7. Historically speaking, when paper money economies collapse, they are replaced by other paper, not gold silver or barter. Weimar Republic old mark replaced by New Mark. Zimbabwe dollar replaced informally by the US dollar and the Euro. Bosnian native currency replaced in practice by the Deutchmark (mid 1990′s).
8. The best investment is a gun and a reasonable amount of ammo, so you can defend yourself from marauding hoards during the turbulence between collapse and stability. Don’t forget to prevent your politicians from making this option illegal. No one really NEEDS a gun, until they REALLY need a gun. Then it is too late.